Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Tao and the Tao Te Ching

I speak for the Chinese language as my first language. I can see that we are having a communication problem here already.

I agree since your not following what people are saying. But I am not trying to correct your chinese; so your point is not really relevant. I pointed out your choice of english (as other have too) is not necessarily making sense at times. If your going to correct other people's english translation, I simply suggested you start looking at your own more closely since yours is as restrictive as you point out in other's english translation. Let's move on since it's a shame the [TTC Study] has halted and has not started up again.

"I agree since you're not following what people are saying. But I am not trying to correct your Chinese; so your point is not really relevant."

I am following what people are saying and also what the Tao Ta Ching, the classic text, was saying otherwise.

Edited by ChiDragon

A topic of interest lately, (at least for me and a few others on the board) has been the debate as to whether or not the Tao that is being talked about in the Tao Te Ching is the same throughout, or whether they are different.

I will start with my position, which is simply that Chapter 1 clearly states that the Tao that can be talked about isn't the Eternal Tao, hence the Tao being discussed elsewhere is not the Eternal Tao, but rather the Tao that can be described.

Have at it... I might recommend citing passages to prove your points, since this thread is talking about it in the context of the Tao Te Ching. That doesn't mean that you can't comment on other texts, just that this is a literary discussion, rather than a free-form philosophical discussion.

Aaron

I don't know if it's wise to analyze such a thing to much. Human minds tend to complicate simplicity by creating conceptualized discription, hence why the true Tao is not the Tao that is spoken about. Its all limited by inividual perception, experience, and obsticles in our own ability to be free of preconcieved concept (the basis for cognitive thought snd understanding). Tao is non-cognitive. Its moves beyond the realms of conceptual understanding and is, in itself, expressionless in its full potential of being observed. In other words, Tao is beyond our senses and we only witness it as splinters of realization.

Tao is non-cognitive. Its moves beyond the realms of conceptual understanding and is, in itself, expressionless in its full potential of being observed.

Very good observation.

But I will continue that the eternal Tao can be experienced.

In this forum and in nearly all other forums that are Taoist based we mostly talk about Te, not Tao. Even trying to talk about the Te of Tao is difficult because we generally look at the universe from our human perspective so we have already put blinders on that prevent us from seeing the true reality of the universe.

Very good observation.

In this forum and in nearly all other forums that are Taoist based we mostly talk about Te, not Tao. Even trying to talk about the Te of Tao is difficult because we generally look at the universe from our human perspective so we have already put blinders on that prevent us from seeing the true reality of the universe.

Yeah, exactly :) I was trying to say that. You said it more clearly

Very good observation.

We? We who? Speak for yourself, kimosabe. :lol:

Li Ehr had little difficulty talking about Tao and there are a few of us around who seem to stumble along okay as well.

It's good you and others have Te to talk about, though. Something for everyone!

warm regards

We? We who? Speak for yourself, kimosabe. :lol:

That was a generalized "we". See? I told you generalities suck.

That ^ was my 1,000th post.

Wanted to make sure it was something worth saying. (-:

warm regards

It harkens back to a popular tradition..

In china they put the children on shelves to keep them safe.

When the children finally get old enough to climb down..

They say Wu hu , and that is name of the character .

Edited by Stosh

I think it means " two men dancing one of them on a shelf."

:)

I like that! Now when someone asks 'What is Tao?' we have our answer. (-:

warm regards

Marblehead, just so we don't lose ya, the character I posted was "Tao"

and Stosh said, "You're welcome" - in Swahili

(-:

Marblehead, just so we don't lose ya, the character I posted was "Tao"

and Stosh said, "You're welcome" - in Swahili

(-:

Thanks.

Yep, I need to be kept up to date now and again. And yes, I do get lost often. I actually used to get lost intentionally whenever on an extended (2 or more weeks) vacation. It is amazing what one can see when there are no expectations blocking one's view.

I miss those days. I might have to convert to Buddhism soon so I can reincarnate and do it all over again.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this