40 replies to this topic

#17 Baguakid

Baguakid

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

It should be noted that it has been told to me that at one time SKL purposely taught the TC Ruler incorrectly for his own reasons. It has also been confirmed to me that the version written in Carl's book which I bought at around 2001 outlines the incorrect version. I would suggest that anyone interested in TC Ruler contact Carl to make sure he's obtained and is publishing the correct version.

FYI.....

#18 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Chi gung, internal energy work, Tai Chi Ruler, Neidan, eight extraordinary channels, Nei Jing Tu, Tao Te Ching, bodywork, acupressure, natural health, nutrition

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

Taiji Ruler: Legacy of the Sleeping Immortal, by Ken Cohen, is available by download for just $3 from the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, where it was originally published. It's about 20 pages, and I found it very interesting. Cohen discusses the history, the origin of the two major lineages, and describes some of the practices in detail in the section "Zhao Family Moving Taiji Ruler," including a number of details I have not found elsewhere. Here's a link.

http://www.journalof...lypage.tpl.html
You do have to register at the site to order, but that was easy.

Also, Baguakid: who's Carl?
Do you mean Terry Dunn?

Edited by cheya, 26 June 2011 - 06:29 AM.

Submit to a daily practice
Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

"The Breath of the True Man Rose Up from his Heels."
-Chuang Tzu

#19 neiye

neiye

Tao Addict

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

Hi Cheya

I am not Baguakid, but he may refer to Carl Totton:

My link

He sells a DVD on a tai chi ruler version Master S.K.Lew taught (the same GM that taught the system to Terry Dunn).

Be well,
neiye

who's Carl?
Do you mean Terry Dunn?

Edited by neiye, 26 June 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#20 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Chi gung, internal energy work, Tai Chi Ruler, Neidan, eight extraordinary channels, Nei Jing Tu, Tao Te Ching, bodywork, acupressure, natural health, nutrition

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

I am not Baguakid, but he may refer to Carl Totton...
He sells a DVD on a tai chi ruler version Master S.K.Lew taught (the same GM that taught the system to Terry Dunn).

Thanks, Neiye. That explains it. And also saves me from ending up with yet another version of SKL's taichi ruler!

Any teachers/DVD versions you recommend?
Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

-Chuang Tzu

#21 Dainin

Dainin

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hi Cheya,

Are the exercises on the Masterworks DVD similar to the ones discussed in Ken Cohen's article? Thanks in advance...
"Do your practice and all is coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

"My miracle is that when I feel hungry I eat, and when I feel thirsty I drink" Bankei

"In spring, hundreds of flowers; in autumn, a harvest moon; in summer,
a refreshing breeze; in winter, snow will accompany you. If useless things
do not hang in your mind, any season is a good season for you." Mu-Mon

#22 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi Cheya,

Are the exercises on the Masterworks DVD similar to the ones discussed in Ken Cohen's article? Thanks in advance...

They're not the same, but they seem much more related to each other than, say, Terry Dunn's version. Ken's article is an overview narrowed down by steps to some specific exercises. His stance is similar to the MWI DVD, and they both call for the lifting the front toe and then the rear heel as you rock back and forth, but Cohen's posture description is much more specific. You can see from the pictures that the exercises are similar, but Cohen's details on all but the first exercise are vague. The details and context he does offer, however, are very compatible with the specific moves presented on the MWI DVD. Cohen also mentions MCO and belt and leg channels, without actually going into the Eight Extraordinary Channel aspects. Cohen is more context. MWI is more doing. They are both in the same ballpark.

Hope addresses what you want to know...

Edited by cheya, 26 June 2011 - 10:28 AM.

Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

-Chuang Tzu

#23 neiye

neiye

Tao Addict

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

Any teachers/DVD versions you recommend?

Hi Cheya:

I am not practicing TCR so I can't really recommend a version more than another.
GM S.K.Lew's version and GM Feng Zhiqiang's version are two I am aware of (except the one you are currently practicing which origin is not clear to you, right?).
I also know that M. Rinaldini (My link) teaches some TCR exercices in his curriculum but I don't know who passed them down to him (may be K.Cohen?).
Sorry, I can't be of any help here :(
If the version you are practicing feels good then it's the real deal, right?! :lol:

neiye

edit for spelling

Edited by neiye, 26 June 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#24 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

GM S.K.Lew's version and GM Feng Zhiqiang's version are two I am aware of (except the one you are currently practicing which origin is not clear to you, right?).
edit for spelling

Thank you Neiye,
The teacher from MWI said he learned Tai Chi Ruler back in the 1980's from two different sources, one being Sifu B.P.Chan who taught in NY with William C.C. Chen, and the other, tai chi master Fong Ha in San Francisco.

Ken Cohen lists 3 lineages, all coming down from Chen Xiyi. According to Cohen, two of those lineages came down to Zhao Zhongdao, and the third to Feng Zhiqiang, which Cohen says is a lesser known Daoist lineage. I don't know if Phil Young traces his TCR training back to one of those lineages, but I'd guess it's similar to Cohen's, who learned primarily from Feng Zhiqiang and Madame Gao Fu.

And yes, MWI's Tai Chi Ruler sequence is working very well for me. Cohen says Feng listed 3 goals of the ruler practice, goals beyond the "side effect" of developing qi!
"The third of those goals," Cohen writes, "is The Dao. Ultimately, the Taiji Ruler student becomes one with the Dao, also called the Primordial Qi of Heaven and Earth (tian di hunyuan qi). The practitioner learns to blend the qi of the body with the qi of the universe.
In the Dao De Jing Lao Zi says, 'The One gives birth to the two.' Here duality returns to oneness."
Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

-Chuang Tzu

#25 zen-bear

zen-bear

Zen-Bear

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi Chuan - 34 years, Liu He Ba Fa - 30 years, Flying Phoenix Qigong - 21 years , Ehrmeishan White Tiger Kung-fu - 21 years, Eight Sections of Energy Combined - 20 years, Ten Thousand Buddhas Ascending to Heaven Meditation System - 20 years, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method)Kung Fu 38 years, Southern Shaolin Five Animals Kung-fu - 38 years.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Here's a video about equipment training, although it is in chinese. It shows how Tai Chi ruler(Tai Chi Bang) movements are applied on an opponent. Ruler training starts at the 20:00 minute mark-
http://v.youku.com/v...E3NDIyNjQ=.html

Here is a video which shows the Tai chi Bang, as well as Chi Kung Ruler, so there won't be confusion between the 2-

Thanks for posting this. Master Chen's Tai Chi Bang is fascinating as well as superbly done. And his one Tai Chi ruler exercise demonstrated is definitely a northern version (as opposed to the southern version taught by Master Share K. Lew).

Terry Dunn
www.taichimania.com

#26 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi Cheya,

Hi again Dainin,
I know I answered this, but I'm chiming back in to say I didn't read Cohen's article carefully enough. He does delineate 3 lineages, two coming down to Zhao Zhongdao and a third down to Feng Zhiqiang. What I missed is that he then briefly describes both the Zhao and Feng lineages and gives a few ruler exercises from each of them. The front-to-back rocking comes from Zhao Zhongdao, so the Masterworks International method is coming from Zhao. The book "Special Taoist Taiji Stick & Ruler Qigong" is from Feng Zhiqiang, and those methods do not seem to have much rocking. Cohen points to Feng Zhiqiang as his teacher, the "taoist branch", but obviously knows both lineages.

Cohen writes "Feng Zhiqiang's martial arts and qigong place a strong emphasis on dantian awareness and 'dantian rotation'. The ruler exercises create a palpable sphere of energy in the abdomen that slowly turns and moves in harmony with one's actions. Sometimes the sphere rotates on an axis; sometimes the entire sphere orbits around the abdominal cavity, as though circling a central point between the navel and the 'gate of life' acupuncture point (ming men)." I'm actually starting to feel some of this!

I have Feng Zhiqiang's method on DVD from Fengming Wang, and there are some powerful exercises on that DVD, but I stick with the rocking methods, as the rocking seems to act as an energy pump that helps move the chi, giving more sensation of chi movement. I do a little of Fengming's tai chi bang (or stick), especially the exercise called "shaking heavenly pillar." It reminds me of a witch stirring a cauldron!

I'm still doing the Masterworks International TCR version every day, and continue to see benefits. I went back to Franztis' cloud hands exercise, which I was doing a few years ago, and my experience now is very different, as I can usually contact the chi immediately. I can feel how "the descending hand causes the ascending hand to rise" which I never could before. I credit tai chi ruler for the increased chi sensitivity. Good stuff!
Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

-Chuang Tzu

#27 Warrior Body Buddha Mind

Warrior Body Buddha Mind

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

Yau Kung Mun System uses the ball for a complete body workout as well understanding Ging!

#28 cheya

cheya

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yau Kung Mun System uses the ball for a complete body workout as well understanding Ging!

Great moves! And great music!
That video is too short!
Got any longer Lion ball footage?
Your loyalty to that
is a ring in the door
-Rumi

-Chuang Tzu

#29 ShaktiMama

ShaktiMama

Broken Plate

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • Interests:KAP instructor, practicing human being. Being happy and peaceful.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

So far I have found very little info. as to what the benefits of this practice are. Anyone here have any experience with it?

It intensifies internal energy cultivation quickly.
http://developyouren...i-ruler-qigong/

Tell Sifu Dan I sent you. :)

S
Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I will know what you believe.

http://www.kundalini...al-message.html

#30 snowmonki

snowmonki

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the link to the Cohen article :D

"Grandmaster Feng Zhi Qiang (1928- ), had the unique opportunity to learn from two well known and respected teachers of their time. One was Chen Fa Ke (1887-1957), 17th generation of Chen Style, who excelled in silk reeling chan si gong power. Chen passed on to Grandmaster Feng his vast knowledge of the Chen Style Tai Chi, Push Hands, weapons and the Tai Chi Bang(Stick). The other teacher was Hu Yao Zhen (1879-1973) who mastered the three unique Taoist skills: martial arts, medicine and qigong (energy cultivation). Hu, a famous Chinese medical practitioner, became known as the father of modern qigong in China. From Hu, Grandmaster Feng learnt Xin Yi Quan (Heart Mind Boxing), qigong and the Tai Chi Ruler skills. Grandmaster Feng is a world famous Tai Chi master. His martial skills have been tested many times. The practice of his art has not only given him good health and great power, it has also moulded his character and enabled him to follow the Tao or the Natural Way."

Master Feng's taiji ruler. The motions here are done quite large.

Info on Master Feng's ruler and stick gong. With details on some of the stick exercises.

This one explains some of the 'inner' aspects of the Master Feng's ruler exercises.

Bruce Frantzis teaches 'circling hands' qigong, which is very similar to taiji ruler

This is taught as a side practice when learning Bruce's Marriage of Heaven & Earth. It is seen as a simpler 'form' to get the neigong working, you are mainly working on lengthening the tissues and opening and closing. The practice eventually involves three circles and shifting weight etc. Given Bruce's studies with the late Master Feng, while I do not know the origin of this set, there appears to be clear influence.

I like the circling hands practice a lot.

Best,

P.S. I am not saying any of the above videos are fantastic representations of the respective practices.

Edited by snowmonki, 27 June 2012 - 11:05 AM.

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." Hakuin

http://about.me/tian.yi

http://about.me/daoyin

http://www.eightgates.co.uk/

http://medicalqigonguk.wordpress.com/

#31 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5412 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Bruce Frantzis teaches 'circling hands' qigong, which is very similar to taiji ruler

This is taught as a side practice when learning Bruce's Marriage of Heaven & Earth. It is seen as a simpler 'form' to get the neigong working, you are mainly working on lengthening the tissues and opening and closing. The practice eventually involves three circles and shifting weight etc. Given Bruce's studies with the late Master Feng, while I do not know the origin of this set, there appears to be clear influence.

I like the circling hands practice a lot.

Thanks for mentioning the similarity between circling hands and taichi ruler. You're right about circling hands being a side practice in Bruce's system. I took a weekend workshop that focused on tissue lengthening and enjoyed the extended circling hands practice. Delightful in opening up the tissues and circulating qi! :)

#32 zen-bear

zen-bear

Zen-Bear

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi Chuan - 34 years, Liu He Ba Fa - 30 years, Flying Phoenix Qigong - 21 years , Ehrmeishan White Tiger Kung-fu - 21 years, Eight Sections of Energy Combined - 20 years, Ten Thousand Buddhas Ascending to Heaven Meditation System - 20 years, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method)Kung Fu 38 years, Southern Shaolin Five Animals Kung-fu - 38 years.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

Terry Dunn has a book on it and mentions it shortly in the Flying Phoenix thread.

I'm not much informed either but I believe there is Tai Chi Ruler practice that's qigong, then there is one that's more martial arts like (part of Taichi system).

The Tai Chi Ruler system that I learned from Master Share K. Lew--first through his senior students John Davidson, Bill Helm, Carl Totton, and Bruce Eichelberger in the 1970's--and then directly from Master Lew--is a stand-alone Qigong system consisting of eight exercises. It cultivates an internal energy that can empower any Chinese martial art-- Tai Chi Chuan or Kung Fu art. GM Share K. Lew taught the Tai Chi Ruler as an adjunct to his Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Kung Fu system.
'Hope this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn
www.taichimania.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users