Immortal4life

Qi Meridians and Acupuncture points

Great thread.

Why is this in General?

If this ain't Taoist then I am a small turtle.

• Like 1

I wonder about the meridian clock. What is the significance of Lung being considered the starting point, rather than any other organ...and why at 3 am? Why are the yang divisions (as in the six divisions) next to one another, but the yin divisions separated? How does this circuit make sense in relation to the wu xing and the various cycles, such as generating, controlling, overacting, insulting? What is the significance of the Lung being after the Liver, the Heart being after the Spleen, and the Pericardium being after the Kidney, in this progression of the circuit? Thanks for any insights.

• Like 2

Are we creating the <<新難經>> the "New Classic of Difficulties?" ;)

Regarding the clock. It begins at 3 am because that is when the very first light of dawn becomes visible. It is the faint beginning of the emergence of the rising Yang that began at midnight. It is the true beginning of the day. As for why Shou Taiyin/ the lung? it is simply that is what has been observed. This points at a key aspect of Chinese medicine in that the theories arise from observation and cannot be merely applied to the world. This points further ahead to the question about the relationship of the diurnal circuit to the Wǔxíng, and it isn't related at all.

This can be a bit hard to get the head around. We need to be able pick up and set down our frames of reference. It is like having a camera with several lenses. Each lens will be good for what it is good for, and may not even be able to see what it is not. When we are talking about the 臟腑 Zàngfǔ organs systems from the meridian perspective we are talking about how they function and relate as meridian entities. As I mentioned above, the lung-spleen relationship at this level (Taiyin) is not a relationship of metal and earth; the respective phases are irrelevant. In terms of the Wǔxíng the lung is metal and the spleen is earth, but we do not always need to be using the frame of the Wǔxíng and can set it down. As I said in another thread a year or so ago, if the only tool you have is the Wǔxíng soon everything starts to look like a pentagram.

Why are the yang divisions (as in the six divisions) next to one another, but the yin divisions separated?

I don't understand in which context you mean this.

Edited by kevin_wallbridge
  • Like 5

Thank you very much!

I don't understand in which context you mean this.

On the clock, the 3 yang of the six divisions (taiyang, shaoyang, yangming), are always immediately next to each other; the urinary bladder directly follows the small intestine...the gallbladder directly follows the sanjiao...the stomach directly follows the large intestine.

Whereas the yin divisions are further apart. Just wondering why or if this has any significance...maybe not, as you said, these are different lenses. In addition to wondering about the significance of why certain yin organ systems are following each other in the clock, such as the Pericardium following the Kidney, the Lung following the Liver, the Heart following the Spleen.

• Like 1

If you look at the cycling it goes Yin-Yang-Yang-Yin three times. We already mentioned the 表里/exterior interior pairing. So the cycle runs from hand Yin, to hand Yang, to foot Yang and then back to foot Yin. Or, as we often say, "out to the hand, up to the head, down to the feet and back to the trunk." If you look at the chart you can see that pattern is followed consistently, so it is always two Yin and two Yang one after another around the clock.

So:

手太陰肺經 Taiyin/Lung

手陽明大腸經 Yangming/Large Intestine

足陽明胃經 Yangming/Stomach

足太陰脾經 Taiyin/Spleen

手少陰心經 Shaoyin/Heart

手太陽小腸經 Taiyang/Small Intestine

足太陽膀胱經 Taiyang/Urinary Bladder

足少陰腎經 Shaoyin/Kidney

手厥陰心胞經 Jueyin/Heart Protector

手少陽三焦經 Shaoyang/Trible Burner

足少陽膽經 Shaoyang/Gall Bladder

足厥陰肝經 Jueyin/Liver

You can see by this breakdown that the three Yang divisions are not actually all next to one another. Rather, they follow a balanced pattern of alternation.

• Like 3

............. Why are the yang divisions (as in the six divisions) next to one another, but the yin divisions separated?

Perhaps I may answer your question.....

明大腸經 Hand/Yangming/Large Intestine

手少三焦經 Hand/ Shaoyang/Trible Burner

手太小腸經 Hand/Taiyang/Small Intestine

手太肺經 Hand/Taiyin/Lung

手少心經 Hand/Shaoyin/Heart

手厥心胞經 Hand/Jueyin/Heart Protector

In regarding to the Yang/Yin aspect, each meridian was given a descriptive name to indicate its actual location. The name has three parts. The first part is indicating the body part, second indicates which side of the body part, and the third is the association with an organ. For example,

手陽明大腸經 Hand/Yangming/Large Intestine

1. Hand(手) means that the meridian is located in the hands.

2. "Yang(陽) ming" means it is located at the outer side of the hands.

3. Large Intestine(大腸) is associated with the large intestine organ .

and...

手太肺經 Hand/Taiyin/Lung

The Yin(陰) indicates that is located at the inner side of the hands.

• Like 2

......... How does this circuit make sense in relation to the wu xing and the various cycles, such as generating, controlling, overacting, insulting? What is the significance of the Lung being after the Liver, the Heart being after the Spleen, and the Pericardium being after the Kidney, in this progression of the circuit?

In order to understand "How does this circuit make sense in relation to the wu xing and the various cycles, such as generating, controlling, overacting, insulting?" One need to have a thorough understanding of the Wu Xing(五行) and its aiding/opposing cycles. I believe that someone had already posted some nice threads about the Wu Xing cycles.

• Like 1

I wonder about the meridian clock.

Cool clock :)

What is the significance of Lung being considered the starting point, rather than any other organ...and why at 3 am? Why are the yang divisions (as in the six divisions) next to one another, but the yin divisions separated?

Have a look at these:

The Eight Extraordinary Channels: Taoist Cosmology and the Eight Extraordinary Channel Pairings

The Meridian Clock: A Taoist Cosmological Imaging System, Part One

1. In most traditional Chinese astrology and feng shui systems, the Tiger month (February) is the beginning of the new year, as it is yang wood and represents the energy of ascending and growth, and the beginning qi of a new cycle.
  2. The Luo Shu revealed that the Lung is the first channel in the meridian clock.
  3. Combining the above two patterns, the Lung as the first channel of the meridian clock is matched with the beginning branch of the energy cycle, which is yang wood. Uniting these two reveals the Lung is matched to the Tiger/yang wood, which corresponds to 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Place the remaining channels in the exact order of the Luo Shu, and the meridian clock pattern is revealed.
  • Like 2

On the clock, the 3 yang of the six divisions (taiyang, shaoyang, yangming), are always immediately next to each other; the urinary bladder directly follows the small intestine...the gallbladder directly follows the sanjiao...the stomach directly follows the large intestine.

Whereas the yin divisions are further apart. Just wondering why or if this has any significance...maybe not, as you said, these are different lenses. In addition to wondering about the significance of why certain yin organ systems are following each other in the clock, such as the Pericardium following the Kidney, the Lung following the Liver, the Heart following the Spleen.

I usually keep the flow as visual as possible when I picture all these... follow the flow from one to another as you think about them and you'll also see there Yang is External (descending) and Yin in Internal (ascending).

Your clock has lots of overlapping concepts pulled off, but let's look at a few:

1. LU start at 3am. It is Yin/Interior/Ascending and its paired with the LI Yang/Exterior/Descending .(shown as metal pair).

2. ST Yang/Exterior/Descending pairs with SP Yin/Interior/Ascending as the Earth Pair.

So your question is: What is the YangMing pair LI / ST adjacent , and the TaiYin pair, Lu / SP, not adjacent?

It is a more symptomatic process. There is a chart here that I keep and it seems to also help in understanding this issue:

The 6 level concept in TCM

The 6 meridian theory refers to the 3 yang and 3 yin patterns known as Tai Yang, Yang Ming, Shao Yang, Tai Yin, Shao Yin and Jue Yin. This is also known as differentiation according to the 6 stages (or the 6 meridians) and could be translated as the 6 "levels" due to the progression of conditions from Tai Yang (most external) to Jue Yin (most internal). Using the theory of the 6 stages you can see a progression of conditions from external to internal.

acupuncture-meridian-flow-graphic.gif

The 6 stages or levels then are as follows:

• 3 Yang Stages or "Levels"
  • Tai Yang - posterior of the body (example, posterior neck/head pain)
  • Yang Ming - anterior of the body (example, flushed face, bloated abdomen)
  • Shao Yang - lateral aspects of the body (example, abdominal distension in the liver area)
  • 3 Yin Stages or "Levels"
  • Tai Yin - issues where the lung and spleen traverse, abdominal pain, diarrhea
  • Shao Yin - issues where the heart and kidney traverse, pain in the heart
  • Jue Yin - issues where the liver and pericardium traverse, liver area pain
  • Like 2

There is one channel I would like to know more about. The San Jiao (Triple Burner). Specifically its energetic functions. I have heard that it functions as our energetic digestion.

Anyone know more about that?

• Like 2

Cool clock :)

Have a look at these:

The Eight Extraordinary Channels: Taoist Cosmology and the Eight Extraordinary Channel Pairings

The Meridian Clock: A Taoist Cosmological Imaging System, Part One

1. In most traditional Chinese astrology and feng shui systems, the Tiger month (February) is the beginning of the new year, as it is yang wood and represents the energy of ascending and growth, and the beginning qi of a new cycle.
  2. The Luo Shu revealed that the Lung is the first channel in the meridian clock.
  3. Combining the above two patterns, the Lung as the first channel of the meridian clock is matched with the beginning branch of the energy cycle, which is yang wood. Uniting these two reveals the Lung is matched to the Tiger/yang wood, which corresponds to 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Place the remaining channels in the exact order of the Luo Shu, and the meridian clock pattern is revealed.

Nice to see the branch relationships to the 5 elements mentioned here! I was taught CM according to the system of stems and branches and in that theory the branch element qi (or seasonal qi as it was called) plays a big part. When I first heard about it I was quite confused as it is not mentioned in the TCM theories at all (and with only 1 mention in the nei jing + ling shu I think), but when you dig a little deeper the stuff is there.

It also makes a lot of sense regarding the organ function if you combine the energetics of the wu xing and branches. For example - Lung is metal and wood. So what this gives is the image of expanding and contracting, which exactly what the lung does! Large intestine has also the metal and wood, and here you can think the wood relating to the peristaltic movement which is happening all the time in the LI. In the fire of the branches you have Sp and Ht. With Sp the fire is relating to the digestive aspect of transforming the food. Also, Sp is related to mind and thinking -- aspects of fire and consciousness. And that Ht is fire + fire is very natural as it's the seat of our consciousness.

The rest are left as an excercise for the reader :P But I can of course answer questions if they should arise. Oh, and +1 for the applied channel theory book! For me it's one of the sharpest text on CM I've read.

• Like 2

Why, when treating issues of the gastro-intestinal system are the "small and large intestine merdians" hardly used? Because it is through 陽明 Yángmīng that we have the strongest connections to the whole system.

Very interesting Kevin..."Because it is through 陽明 Yángmīng that we have the strongest connections to the whole system."

I found this to be the case, particularly the ST channel.

I have recently completed my first round of point therapy through the 12 organ channels using Time Line Meditation (TLM)

And I was quite blown away by how intense the connection to the whole system (not just gastro-intestinal) that the Stomach channel was. Maybe just my system, but its feels like its standard.

Quite an amazing journey through the channels. Some of these points took me right back to the 'point in time" where my channels switched (as a baby part In Utero partly after birth) from "feeding" from Source/Cosmos - changing over to "feeding" from my mother, and then from food. Very traumatic point for me when the gates closed...oi!

But what was very apparent was the importance of the stomach channel over the whole system - not that I'd underestimated it. But, it certainly gave me a greater respect for it.

The other extremely "important" channel for me in that process was the Kidney Channel. Perhaps its just my make up - having an over-active Metal balance (birth chart) - but the Kidney Channel clearing is changing EVERYTHING!

But what I've been sent here to question you on (ala JoeBlast) is the functional relationships between the Kidney Channel, Yongquan, The Yin Heel Vessel, Zhao Hai, the functions of the Heel Pump, and the inner etheric structures particularly the Heel Cube.

I'm in the midst of a growing love affair with my Kidney channel, rooting processes and the Heel Cube.

With particular reference to the K3, 4, 5, 6 loop, and the K6, 7, 8, 9 pattern through to the He-Sea K10.

I've been working with this area extensively in Yongquan breathing, and seeking to cultivating the Heel Pump in relation to the inner Cube/Cone/Pyramid.

Perhaps you can shed some light on the functions of this loop culminating at Zhao Hai - how it relates as the confluence point of the Yin Hell Vessel, How the zig zag at K7,8 assists and the relationship between these the Pump and the inner "Cube" works?

:blink:

• Like 2

There is one channel I would like to know more about. The San Jiao (Triple Burner). Specifically its energetic functions. I have heard that it functions as our energetic digestion.

Anyone know more about that?

I've wondered if it might correspond with the vagus nerve function, which connects the brain, heart & gut (3 dantians)?

vagus-nerve-image.jpg

sanjiao-energetics.png

The Upper Jiao is essentially the Thoracic Cavity, and the Orophalanx (mouth basically). Everything above the diaphragm relating to Digestion and Circulation, and almost all of of the organs of Perspiration. It belongs alongside Thoracic Cavity in a Scientific Occidental Medical Practitioner, as an Organ Group.

The Middle Jiao is the core of digestion—Stomach, Liver particularly the closest cells to the Hepatic Portal, "Spleen" (digests red blood cells more efficently than the liver), and the Duodenum. Sparing the colourful descriptions, this is areas where food is mostly converted .

Finally, the lower burner is mostly dealing with slow extraction of less and less useful food matter, and includes the Ilium, Colon, and—along similar lines to the filtering of waste matter—the Kidneys. But also the Adrenal Complex.

The triple burner, however, is said to be primarily energetic and does not have a physical component, unlike all the other organs in TCM. In dissection a body, one would not be able to find a structure that could be called the San Jiao.

• Like 2

I've wondered if it might correspond with the vagus nerve function, which connects the brain, heart & gut (3 dantians)?

Kevin, it would be nice if you could also shed some light upon the "Yellow Sprouts" that issue from the MingMen/Lower Dantien into the Triple Burner.

I've seen them with inner vision, bursting out and careering through the triple burner - just like a sparkler flying through a water slide tunnel. To me it seemed like Yang bursting out, and Yin attacking/attaching/battling/twisting/spinning - creating motion hurtling the sparks through TB.

I'm keen to know more about the role of the triple burners in developing the Immortal Fetus/Pill, and the specific types of Qi/Jing involved in the "Tiger/Dragon Coupling".

I don't ask much :huh:

• Like 1