66 replies to this topic

#1 Immortal4life

Immortal4life

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Earlier I made a thread about Tibetan Monks abilities to use meditation to generate heat in their bodies, to melt snow around them, or to dry freezing wet sheets wrapped around their body until the sheets start steaming and become totally dry. This was an impressive demonstration. However, in those videos, no actual methods used by Tibetan monks were shown or disclosed. So here is some footage I was able to find online that shows actual Tibetan Yoga and meditation methods, used by Tibetan monks.

Documentary about Tibetan Yoga Masters-

Here is a very good, detailed video, where a practice is shown that they call "Tru Khor" (spelling?). This is the only video I know of where it is shown to the public-

Here is a very interesting video! It claims to be Tummo meditation, and it is similar to the methods shown in the previous videos. What I am extremely interested about here however, is that it is a demonstration by a Westerner. I did not know that westerners could learn these practices, without becoming monks, or if they even could become monks-

Tibetan monk explains what is happening in Tummo practice-

The Tibetan method of Relaxation-

Does anyone have any information on the westerner in the Tummo video? Or how a westerner can learn this system of Tibetan Yoga/meditation?

#2 juju

juju

Tao Master

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hi,
maybe this helps you:

"The meaning of Tummo is wisdom fire. Tummo helps to burn all of your chakras, even the most subtle. Lu Jong and Tsa Lung do not reach them all; there is still more left to burn. Tummo is a physical movement practiced while holding the breath in a special way while also visualizing. Through the combination of these three elements you generate an inner fire which burns all of the chakras, including the most subtle left out by Lu Jong and Tsa Lung practice. This fire will burn all your past bad karma. By this we mean that it burns the karmic imprints. We are never free of our karma because we are never free of our imprints. Imprints are chakras. It is not necessary to physically burn all the past bad imprints, bad karmas and bad memories because our chakras are so subtle that they are invisible. With normal techniques it is impossible to open these chakras; they must be burned. What does it mean to burn a chakra? If there is no chakra, this means there is no blockage. We say it is then a channel, but this does not mean it is like a tunnel or pipe, because these are physical things. By channel, we just mean that there is no blockage. The fewer blocks you have, the more open you are. You continue to open and open until at some moment you are just endless. Your heart, your energy, your love—all becomes endless. This is what we call a channel. And to achieve this we use the inner fire wisdom."
from www.tulkulobsang.org

#3 Immortal4life

Immortal4life

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

A lot of info on that site, thank you.

#4 Immortal4life

Immortal4life

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Unfortunately it would seem the teachings on that site are only being taught in Europe at this time...

#5 Alfred E

Alfred E

Tao Now !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Unfortunately it would seem the teachings on that site are only being taught in Europe at this time...

Yoga originated in India and then spread through the world.
As things spread, they dilute. Tibet is geographicaly very close to India.
To access the more pure forms I would study India's - although the language is a barrier.

Tibet has been a copycat of India in many ways - including the system of Bramn nobility system which was the system that kept knowledge hidden and that Buddha worked to circumvent so as to expose the teachings of meditation.

The monks in Tibet are a privelidged class where they own the land and the others work as slaves.

#6 Seth Ananda

Seth Ananda

?&!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Interests:Animism, Sorcery, Traditional Witchcraft, Shamanism, Occultism, Hermeticism, Tantra.

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

The monks in Tibet are a privelidged class where they own the land and the others work as slaves.

Rubbish. Slavery is forbidden.

?&!

#7 Sloppy Zhang

Sloppy Zhang

I have a title?

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Rubbish. Slavery is forbidden.

Just now googled "tibetan monks slavery" and came across this article:

Friendly Fuedalism: The Tibet Myth

In old Tibet there were small numbers of farmers who subsisted as a kind of free peasantry, and perhaps an additional 10,000 people who composed the “middle-class” families of merchants, shopkeepers, and small traders. Thousands of others were beggars. There also were slaves, usually domestic servants, who owned nothing. Their offspring were born into slavery. 15 The majority of the rural population were serfs. Treated little better than slaves, the serfs went without schooling or medical care, They were under a lifetime bond to work the lord's land--or the monastery’s land--without pay, to repair the lord's houses, transport his crops, and collect his firewood. They were also expected to provide carrying animals and transportation on demand.16 Their masters told them what crops to grow and what animals to raise. They could not get married without the consent of their lord or lama. And they might easily be separated from their families should their owners lease them out to work in a distant location. 17

Whatever wrongs and new oppressions introduced by the Chinese after 1959, they did abolish slavery and the Tibetan serfdom system of unpaid labor. They eliminated the many crushing taxes, started work projects, and greatly reduced unemployment and beggary. They established secular schools, thereby breaking the educational monopoly of the monasteries. And they constructed running water and electrical systems in Lhasa.32

Heinrich Harrer (later revealed to have been a sergeant in Hitler’s SS) wrote a bestseller about his experiences in Tibet that was made into a popular Hollywood movie. He reported that the Tibetans who resisted the Chinese “were predominantly nobles, semi-nobles and lamas; they were punished by being made to perform the lowliest tasks, such as laboring on roads and bridges. They were further humiliated by being made to clean up the city before the tourists arrived.” They also had to live in a camp originally reserved for beggars and vagrants--all of which Harrer treats as sure evidence of the dreadful nature of the Chinese occupation.33

Just throwing that out there.
"That place…is strong with the dark side of the Force."
"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."
―Yoda and Luke Skywalker

“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” - Arthur Ashe

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

#8 Sunya

Sunya

Dharma Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Yoga originated in India and then spread through the world.
As things spread, they dilute. Tibet is geographicaly very close to India.
To access the more pure forms I would study India's - although the language is a barrier.

When it comes to physical yoga, the Tibetans have access to practice texts that precede anything found in India. The oldest surviving text on hatha yoga is from the 15th century. Tibetans use a text from 8th century.

Anyway, that's only the physical yoga. Tibetan yoga is much more than that and contains many practices that were passed down orally from mahasiddhas and taught to Tibetans only. And mahamudra and dzogchen are particular to Tibet

This is a complex topic, but there's certainly no "pure" yoga. Practices can be refined over the years if there is an enlightened lineage.

The universe is this arising thought.
The universe is this arising sound.
Just this magnificent arising!
Is Tao.
Homage to all arising.

#9 RongzomFan

RongzomFan

Tao Bum!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Interests:tantra

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

tummo is simply body awareness in the subnavel region plus awareness at the perineum.

while maintaining this split awareness, take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.

Now you are a tummo master.

Edited by alwayson, 13 December 2010 - 11:21 PM.

Stick to Rongzom.  Say No to Tsongkhapa.

#10 Sloppy Zhang

Sloppy Zhang

I have a title?

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

tummo is simply body awareness in the subnavel region plus awareness at the perineum.

while maintaining this split awareness, take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.

Now you are a tummo master.

Where did you get this from?
"What's in there?"
―Yoda and Luke Skywalker

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

#11 RongzomFan

RongzomFan

Tao Bum!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

bliss of inner fire among many other tummo books.

tummo ain't that complicated

#12 Pero

Pero

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

When it comes to physical yoga, the Tibetans have access to practice texts that precede anything found in India. The oldest surviving text on hatha yoga is from the 15th century. Tibetans use a text from 8th century.

Anyway, that's only the physical yoga. Tibetan yoga is much more than that and contains many practices that were passed down orally from mahasiddhas and taught to Tibetans only. And mahamudra and dzogchen are particular to Tibet

This is a complex topic, but there's certainly no "pure" yoga. Practices can be refined over the years if there is an enlightened lineage.

Just a small correction, Mahamudra was also in India, while Dzogchen texts have indeed yet to be found outside of Tibetan language as far as I know (also it's origin is ascribed to Oddiyana not India).

But in any case it's most likely pointless to discuss these and related things with someone who seems to have the Chinese blindfold over their eyes.

His own imagination.
I hate my enemies and cling to my friends.
Groping in dark delusion as to what to accept and reject,
When practicing the Dharma, I fall prey to dullness and sleep.
When involved in non-Dharma, my senses are clear and sharp.
Guru think of me, regard me with compassion.
Bless me that I destroy my enemy - disturbing emotions.

- From Calling the Guru from Afar by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye

#13 rex

rex

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:05 AM

Just now googled "tibetan monks slavery" and came across this article:

Friendly Fuedalism: The Tibet Myth

Just throwing that out there.

Parenti's article does the rounds every now and again. Michael Winn posted Parenti's article on the Healing Dao forum and also this critique:
http://forum.healing...l/message/15159

There's also this:
http://dissidentvoic...story-of-tibet/

And for an analysis that's still on my 'to read' list and challenges claims on both sides:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0520249283/

#14 Sloppy Zhang

Sloppy Zhang

I have a title?

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

Parenti's article does the rounds every now and again. Michael Winn posted Parenti's article on the Healing Dao forum and also this critique:
http://forum.healing...l/message/15159

There's also this:
http://dissidentvoic...story-of-tibet/

And for an analysis that's still on my 'to read' list and challenges claims on both sides:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0520249283/

Thought provoking stuff, there!
"What's in there?"
―Yoda and Luke Skywalker

#15 Sunya

Sunya

Dharma Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

Just a small correction, Mahamudra was also in India, while Dzogchen texts have indeed yet to be found outside of Tibetan language as far as I know (also it's origin is ascribed to Oddiyana not India).

Thanks. I know both Dzogchen and Mahamudra are Indic in origin, but I just meant that you won't find those practices in India since the lineages were only carried over to Tibet and stayed there. Oddiyana is now Pakistan area from what I know, maybe that's wrong.

Tibetans always remain very humble toward their Indian spiritual roots and have much respect for India. They have really preserved the practices taught to them by the great Indian masters quite well due to the monastic tradition, their great attention to detail, preservation of texts, and unbroken lineages.

Much remains secret though and you're not going to learn real tummo from a book, and the specifics vary depending on which lineage you learn it from.

The universe is this arising thought.
The universe is this arising sound.
Just this magnificent arising!
Is Tao.
Homage to all arising.

#16 RongzomFan

RongzomFan

Tao Bum!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks. I know both Dzogchen and Mahamudra are Indic in origin, but I just meant that you won't find those practices in India since the lineages were only carried over to Tibet and stayed there. Oddiyana is now Pakistan area from what I know, maybe that's wrong.

Tibetans always remain very humble toward their Indian spiritual roots and have much respect for India. They have really preserved the practices taught to them by the great Indian masters quite well due to the monastic tradition, their great attention to detail, preservation of texts, and unbroken lineages.

Much remains secret though and you're not going to learn real tummo from a book, and the specifics vary depending on which lineage you learn it from.

There are Indic Dzogchen texts

http://www.atikosha....s.html#comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users