thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5903 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

This years theme is Cargo Cult.  Kind of strange past ones were Evolution, Fertility, The Green Man.  I learned about Cargo Cults from an old Larry Niven sci fi book.  Cargo Cults was a strange cultural snafu that happened on some South Pacific Islands when natives began thinking of visiting army base personal and there equipment as Gods!  

Coca cola became drink of the Gods, planes their mystical transportation.  After WWII the troops left and the legends grew.  Humorous and easy to look down as humorous foolishness until you wonder what Cargo cult ideas we all have. 

How would I express Cargo Cult?  Maybe from the angle of a sacredness that has left.  What was good in the world <and a bit ridiculous> that is no longer?  Scooby Doo, symbol triumphant togetherness?  Have a totem stick w/ Scoobies head, all worship the Doo.  Hmmn, stick would have Scoobies head impaled on Mountain Dew bottle!?   Not bad..not bad..

What else?  What was good, and a bit decadent and naiive?   What do I wish would return?  A show from the early 70's?  3's company? nah.   A book? a song.. A record?  Maybe a record.  Yeah a record, having a wind up recorder w/ bull horn speaker.   I wonder I could find one, make it into a public use/display?   Make art out of the covers and allow people to play what they will.  Have some inflatable couches around, corny music from the 60's.  Yeah, that cargo cult.  Back to the 60's when times were good straining to listen to old worn out records, cornier the better.  Dr. Demento, stuff like that.

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#18 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5674 posts
  • Interests:elixirs, trees, herbs, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

thank you thelerner,

and i am now a hillbilly burner.

not sure if i will make it to the big one

but getting to a couple of regionals will be cool too

edit> maybe you can 30 day mentor me on burning?

Edited by zerostao, 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls
powered by aufheben

#19 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5903 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

edit> maybe you can 30 day mentor me on burning?

Lesson 1, its not about learning, its about dreaming and going with the flow. 

One of the camps I hung out w/ 4 years ago seems to be open to new members.  Whiskey & Dust, out of Denver.    They had a beautiful set up, small wooden houses, nice bar, yoga platform, very nice people.  I joined in one of there public offerings- foot massage.  I actually have some expertise in the field and my clients were often beautiful and well painted.  Good times.

I'll contact them, they actually have a website.  To get a taste of what theme camps are about go to http://www.burningma...ps.html?yy=2011 and a search word like 'yoga', you'll find some interestings camps.   Many downright blew my mind.  There was one giant cave that seemed impossible to build a short time.  It turns out the people behind it were special effects guys from California.   So many impossible things, like a sledding hill in the middle of the desert, amazing and fast but watch out of the nylon carpet burns. 

The idea to bring out an old fashion phonograph is not too practical, they're expensive, heavy and delicate.  A modern take is the Soundwagon, a toy car that runs its needle around an album!  The albums stays still, the toy car rides on top w/ its needle in the groove.  Relatively cheap, small, runs a single 9 volt; and its cool looking.  Just what the doctor ordered.  Until the needle breaks off and I don't have replacement. 

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#20 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5674 posts
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

that is a nice site. i was there looking at the ten principles and found my state group.

the ten principles look useful in my doable anarchy idea ^_^

i will be looking at that site awhile.

i found this:

You could be the world's most intrepid traveler, but nothing you have done before will prepare you for Burning Man. Spending a week in the Black Rock Desert will stretch your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual boundaries. While you may be coming to the event for this very reason, it can also put a tremendous strain on you and your relationships. Many a hardy Burner has melted down when "it all gets to be too much."

count me in

Edited by zerostao, 21 January 2013 - 06:57 PM.

live like an immortal
powered by aufheben

#21 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5903 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

You think you're going, great.  It is an anarchists dream.   No money (cept for drinks in the main tent), no corporate logos, extreme self sufficiency in an extreme climate balanced by a gift economy and the ideal every one participates and everyone should find there art or passion.  <mine was hanging out in bars and a defunct body outline project that failed early>

Burning Man burn out.  It hits a lot of people.   For the Big Burn I came a day or two late and left a day early, still caught the big burn of course.  But 2 of the 3 trailers that made up my impromptu group left earlier.   You want to see it all, do it all, there so much energy in the place its very easy to melt down.   People stay up 40 or 50 hours then collapse.  Its the freakin desert  100 degrees w/ the wind blowing burning alkaline dust and all you want to do is see more and more. 

What saves you is slowing down, finding a bar or class, planting your feet and shooting the shit.  Its okay not to see everything, try to get some rest, stay hydrated, always have a cup w/ you <I use a drinking horn>.  Bring quality ear plugs, eye shades and very importantly a cheap bike; Black Rock City is just too big, hot and dusty to walk everywhere.  It could be a 4 or 5 mile hike to get to The Man, The Temple, the Art sections, your favorite watering holes; you'll need wheels- a cheap expendable no speed.  Sadly a tiny combo chain, its not that it'll be stolen, but it may be borrowed for a long periods.

Burn out happens at the smaller regionals too.  Camping isn't easy, I generally don't like it.  Loud and exciting people cut both ways too. 

If you <or any bum> are going, let me know.  We can set up some way to meet.

M.

#22 Northern Avid Judo Ant

Northern Avid Judo Ant

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4531 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

i would love to go, but no clue at all dude  lol no clue.

Sounds great.

#23 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5903 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Info for this year, unusual theme, even by BMan standards

2013 ART THEME: CARGO CULT

13_theme_cargocult.jpg
Theme by Larry Harvey, text by Larry Harvey and Stuart Mangrum,
illustration by D.A. of Black Rock (aka Dominic Tinio)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
        — Arthur C. Clarke

Who is John Frum? He is known to us by many names, this Visitor from Elsewhere, dispenser of endless abundance and wielder of mysterious technologies: John Frum, Quetzalcoatl, Osiris, "Bob." His cargo is splendid, his generosity boundless, his motives beyond our understanding. But across the ages and around the world, the stories all agree: one day he will return, bearing great gifts. Our theme this year asks three related questions; who is John Frum, where is he really from, and where, on spaceship Earth, are we all going?

"'E look like you an' me. 'E tall man. 'E live long."
        — Melanesian informant

13_theme_plane.jpg<I get it, its a plane.>

Our story begins in Melanesia during World War II. Thousands of American GIs suddenly descended on this South Sea island chain, bearing with them unimaginable riches: magical foodstuffs that never spoiled, inconceivable power sources. Just as abruptly the troops departed, leaving only broken, rusted Jeeps, crumpled beer cans, and the memory of Spam. To the astonished eyes of the natives, this was a miraculous occurrence, and they yearned for the return of abundance. Accordingly, they built totemic sky-craft in an attempt to summon back these Visitors and their legendary leader, the man the Melanesians called John Frum. They had formed a Cargo Cult.

This Myth of Return is no less relevant today. To put this in a modern context, what if your electricity went dead and stayed that way -- would you know how to make the current flow again? Can you fix your car if it breaks down, or build yourself a new one? Like the islanders, most of us are many steps removed from the Cargo that entirely shapes our lives. We don't know how it's made, where it's made, or how it works; all we can do is look beyond the sky and pray for magic that will keep consumption flowing.

13_theme_manbase.jpg
Pavilion design by Lewis Zaumeyer, illustration by Andrew Johnstone

Burning Man 2013 will court the return of our benevolent Visitors from Elsewhere by constructing an enormous replica of their sky-craft, hewn from the primitive materials of our backwater planet. Burning Man will stand atop this streamlined structure, majestically revolving like an interstellar beacon. Within this three-decked vessel participants will encounter the Temple of the Navigator, a shrine that features six hand-operated zoetropes that will function as prayer wheels. These will rehearse what little we know, or believe we know, of John Frum's story. A sweeping observation ring surrounding this central chamber will afford panoramic views of both the playa and our city.

We feel sure our theme will attract many alien Visitors, and hope this will stimulate our planet's faltering economy. To that end, we invite artists to create altars that may be placed in the vicinity of Burning Man's pavilion. These installations should be portable and easily removable from our burn circle. Participants are encouraged to contribute propitiatory offerings to these Space Age shrines. Artists are also invited to propose homemade interactive technology that may be installed on our saucer's upper Flight Deck (consult our online Art Guidelines for details).

"Your spaceship is cramped, and it's beginning to smell like fast food."
      — Reverend Al Ridenour

Burning Man is of course what one makes of it. So we must recognize that a few participants question the literal existence of John Frum1. They believe that cargo culture is unsustainable; no deus ex machina descending from the sky can possibly provide consumers with relief. The only spaceship worth considering is planet Earth. Each and every one of us, it is held, must find our Inner Frum: the first step toward salvation is to give our gifts to fellow human beings.

1It is speculated that when greeting Melanesians, American soldiers would state, "Hi, I'm John from Tallahassee" or "I am Johnny from Detroit." John, being a common name, was remembered, but the various place names were soon forgotten. The only other constant being "from", this word soon morphed into a surname, hence John Frum. However Orthodox Frumites within our community repudiate this interpretation. Note: the Burning Man organization takes no position on religious beliefs.

Edited by thelerner, 10 April 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#24 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5674 posts
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

the local kentucky/hillbilly burners are having a burn at (get this) Hell for Certain.

it is a real place. makes sense my first burn will be at Hell for Certain

http://reclaimation.....com/index.html

live like an immortal