Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Apologies if my questions are too frequent, but here's another one :)

After the breath control sequence, should breathing be regulated in any specific way during the movements?

In Bending the Bows, should I only inhale as I raise my arms and exhale as I lower them, or does that not matter in this system as much? (This is how I've been doing it, with resting breaths between as needed, as mentioned in the DVD)

In the other static exercises, it seems clear that breathing in any specific way (other than deeply and relaxed and through the nose following the breath control sequence) is unnecessary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maybe said:

After the breath control sequence, should breathing be regulated in any specific way during the movements?

In Bending the Bows, should I only inhale as I raise my arms and exhale as I lower them, or does that not matter in this system as much? (This is how I've been doing it, with resting breaths between as needed, as mentioned in the DVD)

In the other static exercises, it seems clear that breathing in any specific way (other than deeply and relaxed and through the nose following the breath control sequence) is unnecessary.

Nope, breathe normally. Sifu Terry often says it takes 20 breaths to move from side to side each side for Wind Above the Clouds for one. For BtB just breathe normally and go slowly, as slow as a shifting sand dune. Have fun!

• Like 3

On 7/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, Maybe said:

Hello Maybe,

First, thanks to Earl Grey for providing an accurate answer to your questions.

Here are my similar responses:

No, breath naturally as you perform the movements of BTB as slowly as you can.  Do NOT attempt to coordinate any breath cycle (inhalation or exhalation) with any particular movement.  That is NOT done in FP Qigong and doing so will only lessen and degrade the health benefits of each exercise.

Yes, clear and correct.

Enjoy  your practice,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello again all.

I've been progressing in my practice and enjoying it. I've run into a small hurdle that I'd appreciate some advice on.

The DVD 1 poses (monk gazes at the moon and monk holds the peach) are very shoulder intensive and static. I find that my shoulders and neck become pretty sore the next day if I try to progress past the 5 minute mark. Perhaps I'm being a bit overzealous, but my hope was to move past the 5 minute mark into the 6 minute mark to make the practice more worthwhile.

Which school of thought is more correct in this practice:

A ) to push through the pain and move the practice marker as long as possible more quickly

or

B ) to slowly progress and rest if the exercise becomes painful

Posting this at all is a little embarrassing. If only I'd kept my physical training regimen from high school alive instead of becoming sedentary and losing all that flexibility and strength :P 

Any advice is appreciated. Hope you're all doing well, fellow practitioners. 

2 hours ago, Maybe said:

Hello again all.

I've been progressing in my practice and enjoying it. I've run into a small hurdle that I'd appreciate some advice on.

The DVD 1 poses (monk gazes at the moon and monk holds the peach) are very shoulder intensive and static. I find that my shoulders and neck become pretty sore the next day if I try to progress past the 5 minute mark. Perhaps I'm being a bit overzealous, but my hope was to move past the 5 minute mark into the 6 minute mark to make the practice more worthwhile.

A ) to push through the pain and move the practice marker as long as possible more quickly

or

Posting this at all is a little embarrassing. If only I'd kept my physical training regimen from high school alive instead of becoming sedentary and losing all that flexibility and strength :P 

I had the exact same dilemma to decide upon myself in the beginning. Let me save you time on figuring out the answer between those two choices:

The answer is “Yes”! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To All Flying Phoenix Qigong Practitioners:

Six days until my 3-day immersive Qigong For Health Workshop at the beautiful Eastover Estate in Lenox, MA,  a 600-acre holistic retreat center in the beautiful Berkshire County.  I will be teaching the Taoist Elixir Method (Tao Tan Pai) Basic 31 Meditations, a powerful and transformative Tang Dynasty system of monastic Qigong attributed to Taoist Immortal (saint) Lu Deng Bin.  By my personal experience of teaching the TTP-31 since 1983 and teaching FP Qigong since 1995, as well as through verification by Ayurvedic monk Eric Isen, Tao Tan Pai is a fantastic foundational catalyst for Flying Phoenix Qigong, enhancing its effects in a most powerful and profound manner.

Info and registration: http://www.eastover.com/…/tao-tan-pai-with-master-terry-dun…

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

This is a copy/re-post of what I just posted on a thread asking about Sifu's Tom and Joel Rizzo and Sifu Dan LaRochelle.  It emphasizes a point that must be made about understanding where one is in ANY meditative practice--as well as FP Qigong practice--and what one should expect from a preserver of a Chinese internal art, what one must understand about the study of these arts within the Chinese martial art oral tradition, and the limited role that media instruction (such as contained in DVDs) can play in one's practice of these arts:

On 7/11/2018 at 1:48 AM, virtue said:

I forgot address this earlier.

The demonstration speed is for the sake of learning. If he moved slower, it would be bad for establishing muscle memory. Maybe I recall this wrong, but Sifu Terry has also stated that the FP energy can move advanced practitioners a bit faster and still impart same effects.

If you had reached a very high level in any internal art, then you would certainly experience that bliss ceases intoxicating you after enough karmic purity is reached. Therefore a master wouldn't react to bliss like a beginner would.

A.  If you had reached a very high level in any internal art, then you would certainly experience that bliss ceases intoxicating you after enough karmic purity is reached.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Thank you, Virtue, for citing and punctuating this universal truth about every yogic/spiritual tradition created by humans:  bliss and rapture are experienced in the "lower jhanas" or levels of concentration/absorption/one-pointedness--which the Buddha defined and described in the Visuddhimagga (His map of higher states of consciousness--best translated for the West by Daniel Goleman) as the four "material jhanas".  If one is to progress beyond the  lower four material jhanas to the higher FORMLESS jhanas, one MUST become so PURIFIED such that bliss and rapture are known, felt, and regarded as obstacles, impediments, and GROSS DISTRACTIONS to deeper absorption/Higher Consciousness.  If bliss and rapture are not dispensed with, then the subject will never attain the Fourth Jhana.  NEVER.

And as many have undoubedly noticed on the FPCK thread starting around page 190 (early July 2018), that thread was recently invaded and polluted (as it has in the past) by trollers trying to insidiously divert FPCK subscribers to scam-sites such as "ausar.org" and "ironpalm.com", which sell illegally obtained videos of 6th-generation Grandmaster Doo Wai of the Bok Fu Pai tradition demonstrating some advanced BFP practices.  So blatant is the trolling and so phony, deceptive, and potentially grand-larcenous are these websites, ausar.org and also "ironpalm.com" that ALL the moderators of Daobums are vigilant to instantly ban any account that they determine through (their sophisticated IP analyses) to have any overlap with these 2 scam-sites.  One particular scam-site, ausar.org, btw, fatuously conflates and merges GM Doo Wai's Bok Fu Pai energy arts with the also stolen name, "Kriya Yoga", which is the sacred Yoga  of the great Yogi, Parahamsa Yogananda.  That GM Doo Wai could have taught  any person in the Kriya Yoga/Yogananda tradition--other than Swami Yogananda himself when he was alive--and commissioned or instructed such a non-existent person to "enlighten" the world with Bok Fu Pai energy arts is and impossibility, absolute bunkum, obvious horseshit, and should be a huge red flag for any person with basic  knowledge of yogic traditions and a modicum of common sense.  Both "ausar" and what the moderators call "sock-puppets" (avatars donned by these scammers and fraudsters) have been banned from Daobums.  All this is to say that this particular  con-artist, "ausar", and all like him, promise "bliss and enlightenment" through purchase of their $10,000+ -priced stolen videos of GM Doo Wai (see Youtube condemnation and disavowal), and a few inexperienced naive and gullible beginners in meditation have actually fallen for this ridiculous con and been fleeced of big money (multiple thousands)...when they should have known fundamentally that:   bliss and rapture ARE NOT THE ENDS of meditation and spiritual practice, when Bliss and Enlightenment are absolutely INCOMPATIBLE with one another because bliss is only an OBSTACLE TO ENLIGHTENMENT.  Grok this basic fact of yogic cultivation and spiritual growth, and one will not fall victim to costly scams such as those foisted by "ausar.org".

•••> Once again, this Youtube video posted by Grandmaster Doo Wai in 2007, explains in most clear and vehement terms that the videos showing him demonstrating advanced Bok Fu Pai meditations were STOLEN from him by an outlaw student, whom he condemns and disavows, and thus one can only conclude that such practices were never intended by GM Doo Wai to be released for public consumption. 

Back to your very thoughtful and relevant point, Virtue:

And as I've stated on several occasions on the FPCK thread when the posted question warranted this answer:  FP Qigong is a supremely powerful meditative vehicle that streaks one through the first two jhanas and if one practices correctly and is free of perverse views about oneself, can bring one straight to the threshold of the third jhana--of which there are of eight, according to the Buddha.  FP Qigong and Sunn Yi Gong practice can provide almost instant  "access to concentration."   "Access", depending on one's intelligence level--and  ability to concentrate and focus the mind--and depending only upon that, is what some meditators spend years trying to attain and never attain.  "Access", the first gateway to the 8 Jhanic absorptions are not even entered upon my millions of meditators if they are not practicing correctly. 

B.  The demonstration speed is for the sake of learning. If he moved slower, it would be bad for establishing muscle memory. Maybe I recall this wrong, but Sifu Terry has also stated that the FP energy can move advanced practitioners a bit faster and still impart same effects.

Thank you, Virtue, for pointing out what should be obvious point on many levels. 

(1)  My instructional videos teaching Flying Phoenix Qigong, which first made in 1994, are programmed at a speed where any beginner can follow easily.  If I did it at actual training speed (of which all my students practice at, btw, as seen in the videos on page 174 of the FPCK thread--even beginners) it would take 50 minutes to go through the capstone meditation of the FP system called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation".  Putting such a demonstration on a DVD program would make for an unpopular and impossible to use product.  A beginner/novice in Qigong would ever watch 50 minutes of "Movement at the speed of a shifting sand dune" let alone have the neuro-muscular coordination to practice at that speed.

(2)  My demonstration of advanced FP QIGONG  meditaitons at the "speed of a shifting sand dune" is reserved only for my in-person students-- and then only to initiate and advance to further levels.  To demand or expect that I put such practice on any publicly available product or medium is either a naive and unrealistic expectation based ignorance of how Qigong is properly taught by any master, or else is the  most impudent and disrespectful of demands that is  based on an extremely supercilious sense of entitlement and false pride about one's yogic level.

(3)  *If one has read the FPCK thead over the past 2 years, one will see that numerous FP Qigong practitioners throughout the world--including my in-class students in Los Angles since 1996) are posting reports of their practice of the Vol.4 Capstone Meditaiton  ("Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation") at proper slow speeds upwards of 40 minutes....and in fact are having informal "contests" as to who can do the Vol.4 Meditation the slowest--i.e., over the longest duration of time.

(4)  Finally, to believe that I personally do not have complete mastery of the FP Qigong system because I haven't posted my highest level demonstration of this art on videos available to the public, reveals a gross and churlish blindness and outright stupidity underneath the arrogance because of the simple fact that the PROOF of mastery of this particular Medical Qigong system is only partially indicated by how one practices the FP Meditation system.  THE PROOF OF MASTERY IS IN POWER OF ONE'S HEALINGS.  And towards that revelation, I let my healing work speak for itself.

(5)   I have been told by not only my Bok Fu Pai classmate Sifu Garry Hearfield, but by masters of other Kung Fu and Tai Chi arts that the record formed on this FPCK thread by my 9 years of my answering virtually every question posted about FP training --plus plenty of relevant anecdotal side-trips into how the other Qigong/Nei Kung art that I preserve works (Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu) in contrast to FP Qigong and how the two of them can be brilliantly used together with stellar effects--has demonstrated my thorough knowledge of both arts.

The FPCK thread --has had more than 700,000+ views and some 4,600 postings, and is still going strong. 

Many Daobums subscribers over the years have expressed to me in PM's and posted on the thread  that they have found this discussion to be a invaluable guide--and a veritable bible--for FP Qigong training.  But there are also a few who have shown by their comments that they don't have either the patience or the grade-school level to read this thread, nor recognize and understand its wealth of esoteric  yogic knowledge formed by all its contributors (not must me--but, e.g., Eric Isen's reflections on FP Meditations brought in by Tao Stillness) but amazingly expect advanced practices and knowledge to be made available to them when--

(A)  they have not mastered the absolute basic postural fundamentals of Bok Fu Pai kung fu or FP Qigong or any of its sister arts in Bok Fu Pai tradition such that their nervous systems are not ready for what they're asking for;

(B)  I can tell that--with regard to FP Practitioners in this ninth year--they have not yet developed proficiency in the second longest moving meditation, "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (90 60 50 20) as taught on Volume 3.

(C)  those same fair-weather FP Qigong practitioners refuse to accept the truth about this art that I have CLEARLY EXPLAINED starting 9 years ago at the behest of GM Doo Wai:  that the FP Qigong system as presented in my Chi Kung For Health DVD series is COMPLETE and self-contained and will enable any practitioner who masters the Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation to cultivate and then channel extraordinary and indeed supernatural healing powers to the benefit of those he cares for.

(D)  The aeons-old tradition in the Chinese martial arts is to:  NEVER SHOW TOO PLAINLY.  But I have shown the "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation" System  more clearly and plainly--as well as in its entirety--perhaps more than any other preserver of a geniune Qigong system and was authorized to do so by GM Doo Wai because it is PURELY A HEALING QIGONG...and the energy and consciousness/structural sensitivity that it cultivates cannot be used to fuel martial art activity or destructive purposes. 

And for those who blindly dismiss Flying Phoenix Celesital Healing Chi Meditaitons as merely a beginning level practice (some of whom no doubt are the same trolls trying to sell "more advanced" teachings on videos that they acquired by theft), and  just to to let them know and to let the world know what's what and what does what, I will in the near future post a 1992 video of Grandmaster Doo Wai clearly stating on camera that just ONE of the Flying Phoenix Qigong Meditations--let alone the entire FPCK System (that I was about to put onto videos back then)-- is enough to empower one to bring back to life small dead creatures.  This means, for those who can't put 2 and 2 together to make 4, that one FP Qigong exercise--if practiced properly-- just one FP Meditation--is enough to "bring back" a human being from the brink of death.

BUT THE FACT REMAINS THAT ONE CAN NEVER ATTAIN SUCH YOGIC EMPOWERMENT MERELY FROM PRACTICING FROM A STOLEN DVD--OR FROM 30 DVD's.   And any person that believes that spiritual growth and enlightenment--or healing powers-- can be gotten from just paying money for a media product, and practicing to that product, is grossly misinformed and frightfully deluded.  Daobum "Maybe" made this obvious point a few days ago most cogently,  "MONEY CAN NEVER BE THE GATEKEEPER TO ENLIGHTENMENT". 

The final transmission completing any student's apprenticeship of a Chinese internal energy art with a Master is always done in person.  For the truth is transmitted MIND TO MIND, without any words, sometimes with a symbol...but never in writing or the absurdity of a moving picture. 

"The wrong person with right information (the true art)

Will still come to no good end.

But the the right person with even the wrong (incomplete) art

Will succeed and make it work for him."

Sifu Terence Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 10:17 AM, Maybe said:

Hello again all.

or

Hi Maybe,

I would choose slow progress.. Embedding pain to a healing practice may not be a wise choice. .Pain curtains  the original “feeling” of each exercise, as well as inflating your ego. Go slow but steady. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2018 at 10:51 PM, zen-bear said:

(4)  Finally, to believe that I personally do not have complete mastery of the FP Qigong system because I haven't posted my highest level demonstration of this art on videos available to the public, reveals a gross and churlish blindness and outright stupidity underneath the arrogance because of the simple fact that the PROOF of mastery of this particular Medical Qigong system is only partially indicated by how one practices the FP Meditation system.  THE PROOF OF MASTERY IS IN POWER OF ONE'S HEALINGS.  And towards that revelation, I let my healing work speak for itself.

it is also possible that folks are trying to trick to you revealing it so they can copy the set somehow and then scam it to others.

So I think you are right to not publicly show it, if you choose to do so.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dawei said:

So I think you are right to not publicly show it, if you choose to do so.

Not only that, but I do think Sifu Terry should keep that for private students (which I am not btw). 

Giving away a lot of informations -even the seemingly exoteric ones - can have the opposite effect of the one expected: it may feed ill intented discussions based on consumerism and spiritual materialism.

• Like 4

so I have just got hold of the 2 hour tape where gm doo wai brings things back to life and also shows him materializing flying phoenix energy vapors from his hands , some out there stuff it has to be said ! :P

I thought it Was very interesting that he specifically mentions this healing energy as flying phoenix energy.

also has some meditations on which is cool.

• Like 2

The administrator posted somewhere recently that this zen-bear thread is now a PPD. Can someone tell me what that means and how does it get accessed from here?

Greetings,

So yesterday morning I went ahead and purchased the first two volumes of the Flying Phoenix (I'll get the rest when I've done the first two volumes diligently for some time) system with express shipping to Europe! Very excited to begin this new chapter of highly exalted and mysterious Qigong practice. Thank you @zen-bear for giving us the opportunity to practice this sacred art.

Can barely wait. Have read through the first forty pages of the thread here and excited to go through it all.

I personally am doing this as a complement to my seated shamatha practice as I have health problems; in particular kidney and gut / LDT coarse blockages that are sometimes painful (when I have done other forms of Qigong) but most of my health has improved vastly since I began meditating (seriously) 2.5 years ago but I still lack vitality and the vigor I really want. So I am very excited to embark on this new chapter of health and vitality. 

:)

Edited by anshino23
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tao stillness said:

The administrator posted somewhere recently that this zen-bear thread is now a PPD. Can someone tell me what that means and how does it get accessed from here?

For readers, the main implication is you need to be signed in to read it.  

For the thread itself, it can now be maintained like any other PPD; zen-bear can hide off-topic discussion.

Notice to FP Qigong practitioners:

In trying to maintain an accurate and updated list of Grandmaster Doo Wai's authorized instructors of Bok Fu Pai arts, on August 1,  I confirmed by Skype with Grandmaster Doo Wai that the following are authorized by him to teach Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu arts:

Sifu Tom Rizzo

Sifu Joel Rizzo

Sifu Nick Goener

Sifu Dennis Wood

Sifu Garry Hearfield

and yours truly,

Sifu Terence Dunn

P.S.  The audio recording will be posted shortly.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Hi , unfortunately i have broken my right collar bone so my practice has been stopped, i am waiting for surgery so hopefully i will get full function back... my right shoulder is in constant raised state, not easy to sleep either.

I was wondering if it was a bad idea or not to practice with one arm?

I should be better in 6 weeks, on the bright side this might be what finally helps me stop my porn addiction lol when i abstain for long periods the chi is so much stronger also my IBS improves. I did think i would beat it this time anyway because i have trained myself to recite the white tara mantra in my head anytime sexual thoughts arise along with  visualising the seed syllable  and it seemed to be working... but i guess this might be just that extra thing i needed.

I should be more down about this but the phoenix does have to destroy itself before it is reborn and that is very much in my nature... actually if i recall that might be how i came across this chi gong in the first place as my ascendant is in scorpio i was looking into the idea of the phoenix.

I just hope this doesnt affect my practice long term.

2 hours ago, BluePhoenix133 said:

IBS improves

Ghee and rutin supplement (which should be taken with at least 500mg of vit c as well) will help it. But will make you hornier if you do not exercise - transmuste.

• Like 2

I do take ghee along with other stuff that def helps, its not as bad as it was but i think something about serotonin and dopamine being used up excessively through porn stops the gut functioning aswell.

My first Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop ever in New York City is this coming Saturday, August 11 from 10am to 5pm at the New York Open Center at 30th and Madison.

Come one, come all!
You've read about FP Qigong's many profound and interesting health benefits  for 9 years on this lively thread of committed FPCK practitioners.  Long-term practitioners with experience in meditation and other qigong systems now  know that here is meditation and there is meditation; there is Qigong and there is Qigong.  Then there is Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditations.

Registration info is here:

https://www.opencenter.org/flying-phoenix-qigong

Thank you everybody for your support of Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditations of Ehrmeishan!

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

Hello,

I have a short question about workshops, being new here. I greatly appreciate the tips and comments from practitioners and consider ordering the DVD`s. But is there an authorized teacher for FP Qigong in Europe ? I am based in Germany, but quite often in the UK. Thank you for any suggestions and recommendations.

13 hours ago, BluePhoenix133 said:

i think something about serotonin and dopamine

That's nofap bullshit. Masturbation fucks up your blood vessels, takes the plasma, jing,chi,shen away from tissue,  intestinal bleeding, messes immune and nervous systems of bacteria, hormones and regulations, etc,. those little neurotranmitters are not powerful. 

• Thanks 1

Who knows, perhaps you are right, i thought it was not so much about power but just they are needed for it to function properly. I definately experience a jing increase though.

Ok i just did the 50 10 50 meditation from Dvd 2, the one where the palms face each other.... except this time only my left arm was in the correct position as my right arm is in a sling. It felt good, i even felt chi on both hands but not very intensely and there even seemed to be an exchange of energy between both hands even though they were not facing each other.

I might have to try other meditations in this condition, seems like it might be worth a go even though it dampens the chi.

Hi, it turns out i can do at least one meditation with both hands even with a broken collar bone, the 50 10 50 meditation. My left shoulder hurts less now and i use two pillows to support both hands, im so glad i can at least do one flying phoenix meditation and it has made me appreciate this one meditation more.

Yesterday whilst doing it i got into the present moment, i have allot of mental noise so that was really nice to have a clearer head and the energetic effects are still strong on such a simple meditation.

I do listen to music whilst doing though otherwise i might get bored.

• Like 2