46 replies to this topic

#1 Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Stop!! Hammertime!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

It is a well know fact that Lao tzu used spoons in ancient China on at least two occasions , further more it has been proven by Chinese historians that confuscious was an avid user of spoons, even though Taoism and Confuscianism are, some might say, diametrically oppossed. 1.3 billion Chinese also make use of spoons on a daily basis!

Spoons have been at the forefront of all spiritual cultures for, up to, at least a thousand years!(..or so)

Witness the spoon bending scene in the film the matrix, what exactly was the significance of the spoon????

It has been postulated that the universe is doughnut shaped, but could it be, that, in fact, it is spoon shaped!???

Why was it when the first Europeans landed in 'the land of the braves', that they were shocked to find that the natives had already used ....the symbol of the spoon.

Thousands of us make use of a spoon on an almost daily basis. WHY?

The famous mystic spoon bender Uri Gellar was well known for spoon bending, but why a spoon, why not a knife or a hamburger for that matter? What secret does he know that we are not party to?

Has anyone else at Taobums noticed a connection between spoons and Daoist thought? Are there any who have, in fact, practiced 'shao tian gong fu'(sky spoon skills)?

I will let you be the judge! Any thoughts that can further explain the importance of spoons in spiritual circles would be greatly appreciated.

Uri Gellar, spoon expert.

Attached File  carspoon.jpg   48.4K   63 downloads

#2 DaoChild

DaoChild

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

I use spoons to eat soup.

#3 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8366 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:13 AM

I am disturbed by the emergence of this spoonite utensilist heresey, it is well known that Siberian Shamans used their hands or chop sticks and while early depictions of Atlanteans using scoops have been found this in no way substantiates the idea of there being a spoonal dimension to their spiritual tradition.

#4 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23691 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

I think it is because of the invention of the spoon that it was possible for the animal now called man to evolve in a different direction from its more ape-like cousins.

Yes, I think that if the handle were removed from the spoon we would have a perfect representation of the universe. (Well, maybe two handle-less spoons upside down to each other.)

Peace & Love!

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Posted Image          I reserve the right to change my mind.          Posted Image

Peace & Contentment!

#5 Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Stop!! Hammertime!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

I use spoons to eat soup.

Proof positive, but I feel what you have left out is, in fact, more revealing........puddings? A few secrets up your sleeve now doubt!

I am disturbed by the emergence of this spoonite utensilist heresey, it is well known that Siberian Shamans used their hands or chop sticks and while early depictions of Atlanteans using scoops have been found this in no way substantiates the idea of there being a spoonal dimension to their spiritual tradition.

As a untensilist I am greatly offended by your suggestion of heresey, I therefore am left with no other recourse except to challenge you to a duel....spoons at dawn it is! I will be seconded, of course, by the infamous Earl of Spooner(distant relative of the Spencer family who deliberately concealed their spoon heritage).

I think it is because of the invention of the spoon that it was possible for the animal now called man to evolve in a different direction from its more ape-like cousins.

Yes, I think that if the handle were removed from the spoon we would have a perfect representation of the universe. (Well, maybe two handle-less spoons upside down to each other.)

Peace & Love!

That's right! That whole opposable finger/thumb thing never fooled me either! Might I ask if you incorporate spoons into your daily taoist ritual/non-ritual? And if so, what is the deeper significance? There is, in actual fact a branch of Chinese medicine that does make use of spoons http://www.earlyspri...ices.htm#guasha
So, I have even surprised myself by finding a direct spoon link to the 'hidden arts'! I'm onto something, I can just smell it!

#6 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23691 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

That's right! That whole opposable finger/thumb thing never fooled me either! Might I ask if you incorporate spoons into your daily taoist ritual/non-ritual? And if so, what is the deeper significance? There is, in actual fact a branch of Chinese medicine that does make use of spoons http://www.earlyspri...ices.htm#guasha
So, I have even surprised myself by finding a direct spoon link to the 'hidden arts'! I'm onto something, I can just smell it!

Believe it or not, I do remember something about spoons being used in some form of healing. It was a long time ago so my memory fails me on details.

There are also those people who make music using spoons.

My most often repeated non-ritual Taoist use of the spoon is when I am supplimenting my fatty Chi belly with peanutbutter. The spoon is so much more efficient than are the fingers.

Peace & Love!

Posted Image          I reserve the right to change my mind.          Posted Image

Peace & Contentment!

#7 C T

C T

Gap Bum

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5078 posts
  • Interests:Ephemeralism

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

A Taoist Spoon i am not
though i admit sometimes i do get in a knot!
To help me unwind,
I drink a little wine
or take a swing on the twine
Usually helps to get me back in rhyme
just right at dinnertime....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Om svabhava shuddha sarva dharma svabhava shuddho 'ham!
Om shunyata jnana vajra svabhava atmako 'ham! 
Om ah hum hra phat!
Om muni muni mahamuni Shakyamuniye svaha! 

Appearances are mind, mind is emptiness, emptiness is spontaneous presence, spontaneous presence is self-liberation.
(9th Karmapa)

The objects perceived by sentient beings 

are like the appearance of illusions;

Sentient beings themselves are in the nature of illusion

they all arise through dependent origination. - Nagarjuna

#8 EagleShen

EagleShen

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Being fully here on earth

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

A few arisings of thought this produces (and yes i think you are onto something Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that):

Isn't there a famous saying something like, 'before enlightenment, eat with spoon; after enlightenment, eat with spoon?'.

Spoon medicine is called Gua Sha, and in fact many medicines are administered by a spoon. Is the caduceus, the traditional symbol for healing in the west, actually a spoon and not a staff with intertwined serpents?

Consider the human spirit as a spoon, scooping the bowl it becomes filled with soup, submitting to the insatiable mouth of desire it becomes empty of soup, and then returns to the bowl again to be filled with more soup, 10,000 times does the spoon seek the soup, until the spoon has no more desire for the soup, enters into the hot water of purification and becomes pure desireless potential in the great cutlery drawer of the Tao.

#9 Mal

Mal

supererogate

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6423 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi & Tong Long

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

(or other spiritual cutlery item)

Posted Image
KAP

bye for now
Mal - artmgs@yahoo.com
You are not what you think you are. But what you think... you are.
"Don't think.....feel" Bruce Lee | "Feel.....don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

#10 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8366 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

As a untensilist I am greatly offended by your suggestion of heresey, I therefore am left with no other recourse except to challenge you to a duel....spoons at dawn it is! I will be seconded, of course, by the infamous Earl of Spooner(distant relative of the Spencer family who deliberately concealed their spoon heritage).

Ninpo,

How very spoonist to think of a duel ... always with the aggression! Have you by any chance been in Lubin, Poland recently ...

Spoon

... I think it may have been you.

#11 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23691 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

Have you by any chance been in Lubin, Poland recently ...

Spoon

Hehehe. Yeah, I think a spoon would not be the weapon of choice for someone thinking of robbing a bank.

(But then some people don't think very well.)

Peace & Love!

Here's a nice spoon quote:

Bending the spoon is impossible, so instead, you must become one with the spoon. Once you do that, there is no spoon, there is only you. Then all you need to do is bend yourself.

(From "nospoonblog.com")

Peace & Love!

Peace & Contentment!

#12 Dreamingawake

Dreamingawake

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Life is a pretty funny joke if you have a sense of humor =D

#13 Taomeow

Taomeow

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4774 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Taomeow = Miaodao
Posted Image

#14 Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Stop!! Hammertime!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

I must say, you've all done very well with this spoon thing, especially Eagleshen who gets 10 out of 10 AND a gold star(perhaps a golden spoon would be more fitting).

Believe it or not, I do remember something about spoons being used in some form of healing. It was a long time ago so my memory fails me on details.

There are also those people who make music using spoons.

My most often repeated non-ritual Taoist use of the spoon is when I am supplimenting my fatty Chi belly with peanutbutter. The spoon is so much more efficient than are the fingers.

Peace & Love!

I think you've really focused well on the non-dualistic use of the spoon in everyday life, I had never considered using the spoon in such a fashion.... it's opening a whole new world for me. Is their any particular kind of spoon you would recommend or is it the focus of the user that is more important rather than the utensil?

A Taoist Spoon i am not
though i admit sometimes i do get in a knot!
To help me unwind,
I drink a little wine
or take a swing on the twine
Usually helps to get me back in rhyme
just right at dinnertime....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Truly delectable.

A few arisings of thought this produces (and yes i think you are onto something Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that):

Isn't there a famous saying something like, 'before enlightenment, eat with spoon; after enlightenment, eat with spoon?'.

Spoon medicine is called Gua Sha, and in fact many medicines are administered by a spoon. Is the caduceus, the traditional symbol for healing in the west, actually a spoon and not a staff with intertwined serpents?

Consider the human spirit as a spoon, scooping the bowl it becomes filled with soup, submitting to the insatiable mouth of desire it becomes empty of soup, and then returns to the bowl again to be filled with more soup, 10,000 times does the spoon seek the soup, until the spoon has no more desire for the soup, enters into the hot water of purification and becomes pure desireless potential in the great cutlery drawer of the Tao.

I raise my spoon in respect, in your direction. Truer words have never been said before about spoons. You ARE the spoon master...... if ever there was/is/will be one.

Posted Image

Ahhhhh, so, we have a master of the left handed utensil path online do we. All you forkists are the same, it's all stab, stab, stab; will you never realize the artistry in the path of the spoon? I'm putting you on my duel list, it's getting rather full/empty now. How does 6:30 am on Sunday suit you? Spoon Vs. Fork.....witness how your prongs will slide off my curved spoon type implement. The dark days of the fork lords will soon be over.

Ninpo,

How very spoonist to think of a duel ... always with the aggression! Have you by any chance been in Lubin, Poland recently ...

Spoon

That's a man after my own heart if ever there was one.....that's hilarious!!! :lol:

Dreamingawake: Inspirational

Taomeow: That's not a spoon.... at first glance.... it then came to my attention that the hilt was rather elongated in comparison to the blade..... I see what you are showing me, there's a spoon hidden in the hilt isn't there! Possibly even a whole dinner set I'll warrant! Clever!

Edit: A further thought has just occurred to me, it occasionally does: 'Is an unused spoon still a spoon?'.

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that, 15 November 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#15 NeiChuan

NeiChuan

Posthumus

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

oh god I wish I was a spoon.
" To truly try is to give all you have, when you have nothing left."

#16 sheng zhen

sheng zhen

Tao Bum!